Tips and Resources for Coping with Depression

Darius Crisler

“You’re better than depression,” reads a hand made lettering by Darius Crisler

Depression is a hard thing to deal with. You either feel lost, you don’t have a good self-image, you feel guilty, worthless, or sometimes you might want to take your own life. There are always resources and things to do to help with depression. Like asking for help, doing positive activities when you can, or talking to someone that can help you. Here are some tips I’ve found that can help you with whatever you’re going through. 

One tip is to be social. Being social can help. For example, going to after school programs, getting involved, meeting new people, or trying something new that you have never done before. Finding friends is important as well. Doherty Junior, Tylor Huff, said, “Find someone to make you laugh. Find a friend group that you can talk about your feelings to. The best way to do that is to try to talk to people in general or people in your classes.” There are always ways to make new friends and meet more people. A good way to meet more people you’ll get along with is to be yourself. Being yourself is most important because you’re giving people your full personality. 

Also, a big tip is finding someone that you can trust to talk to. Talking to people about your problems helps a lot. Once you get the thing that’s bothering you out and express yourself, you will feel relieved. You could go to a teacher, friend, or family member. The person will not tell anyone what you say to them unless you’re trying to hurt yourself, because the law states that if a person is trying to harm themselves or others in any way, they must get someone more qualified involved so they can get you better help. Opening yourself to help and advice is a big thing. It’s a big step. Some people seem to bottle things up and not talk about it because they are afraid of being judged. But they will not judge you, they will help you as best as they can. 

Ms. Sandra Gilbert, the Doherty High School counselor for freshmen and juniors, said, “Students are always welcome to speak with any adult at Doherty if there are mental health concerns for themselves or another individual.  It is so important that students, teachers, and staff develop appropriate and supportive relationships to help navigate the difficult things in life. We are available to listen to your concerns and provide resources and referrals to the appropriate agencies for the safety, health, and well-being of the individual involved.  When we are in person, please let us know you need help by asking your teacher or coming in to see us. We are here to listen and help with everyday struggles and larger challenges that require additional support.” There is always someone to talk to at Doherty. 

Another tip is to do something positive in your life. For example, a hobby can keep your mind distracted from all the bad things. Play music, sing, build something, or whatever floats your boat. Doherty freshman, Marcus Dinan, said, “Playing online games and meeting new people has helped me not be depressed.” Therefore fun hobbies helped Marcus not struggle with depression.  

Going outside instead of being inside all day can also help. Being outside can help because you’re getting out, being active, and having fresh air, which have all been proven to help stress. Also, being outside clears your head. The tv or game console is always going to be there later, going outside is a memory that may not be able to happen the next day and there’s always something to explore outside. For example, for fall it could the beautiful leaves could fall off the tree before you got to see them.  

Bullying can cause depression as well as it can mess with your head; they can bring up past situations that you don’t want to be reminded of. The best thing to do is try not to let people bring you down. You are your own person, and you decide who you want to be. No one else can decide that besides you. If you regret something in the past, remember that it’s the past. It doesn’t matter how it happened, you just have to pick yourself up and move forward. If people can’t see past something that you did a long time ago, that’s their loss. On her experience, Doherty High School senior, Callie Frost, said, “If you don’t like your life, then change it. You see one or two things bad about yourself. People will not look at you for those one or two things, they will focus on the whole picture. And to find a good thing about yourself and hype the good things up about yourself, talk [positively] about yourself until you start feeling better.” Therefore, to help herself, Callie has found a way to keep a positive self-image. And if you get a person to give good feedback, you will feel better about yourself. 

Sometimes when you’re depressed, you’re just trying to find a way to happiness. A helpful quote from the show, One Tree Hill, says that “Happiness is a mood… not a destination.” What that is saying is that you’re not always going to be happy, but that’s ok. Happiness comes and goes as we move through life. If you’re always happy, life won’t challenge you. Life would be extremely easy without challenges. Everyone is good at something, even if you haven’t found it yet. Everyone was put on this earth for a reason. Make sure you find that reason; and that it’s a good reason, not a bad reason because bad things result in bad karma, and good things result in good karma. 

If things go wrong, don’t end your life. So many people love and care for you, and you still have a lot of life left to live. If you don’t feel loved, then find someone who does. You’re on this earth for a reason, no matter your beliefs. Someone believes in you; you just may not see it right now. But someday, at some point in time, there will be someone that will push you to be happy and make sure you are not thinking negatively. Or when you do, they will help you through your rough times. 

But if you need more help, the Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. Call them if you need to. If you think something might happen, you can also call Safe-2-Tell at 877-542-7233. They are the best way to talk to someone privately and anonymously. Doherty’s Counseling Department is also open Monday through Friday from 7:20 am-3:20 pm. If you need help you can go there as well. Take back your life today, change it, and believe in yourself. You are here for a reason. Go strive to get something. This is your life, so take ownership of it. You are different, you are loved, and being different is okay. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. 

A screenshot of Doherty High School’s mental health resources page. (Darius Crisler)