Fall Sports Strive for Excellence

Wide+receiver+Kade+Unberhagen++gets+ready+to+run+down+the+field+for+a+catch.+

Abbey Mansfield

Wide receiver Kade Unberhagen gets ready to run down the field for a catch.

Abbey Mansfield
Varsity boys stand together on the sidelines to cheer on their teammates at the home game against Fairview.

Doherty High School is very competitive, and a lot of the time and energy of students is focused on sports. It is fall season, and that means it is time to start playing football, boys soccer, cross country, girls volleyball, boys golf, boys tennis, and softball for Doherty. The following is an overview on the exciting events coming this season, and a few words from the players.

Softball has two teams this year, a Varsity and JV. The girls started their season off with a 3-7 record for Varsity and plan to improve that throughout the next few months.

JV sophomore player Allison Walters commented on the season to come.” I’m really excited for this season because there are a lot of great players that I look up to on Varsity, and everyone is really sweet.” Additionally, Walters says, “ We have some really good players, but one senior I think is college bound is Jr Smith. She is a pitcher and short-stop and I feel like she might be able to go D1.”

“I feel like there is good chemistry on and off the field and I can’t wait to play with these girls!”

Girls Volleyball this year has a lot of players that tried out this year, causing them to have four teams for the 2019-2020 season. They are off to a good start this year with a record of 4-2, and played their first home game Thursday, September 12th.

Varsity player Isabella Serna (12) speaks on the upcoming season. She says, “I’m most excited to play my final year of high school volleyball with amazing girls who will make this year memorable.” When asked what her team is good at, she states, “The team always works together and overcomes obstacles by staying upbeat and confident. However, we could work on staying proud and positive due to the fact that we don’t have our gym.”

Girls Volleyball plans to have a great season this year and will work their hardest to do so.

Boys Football is looking for a successful season this year, starting with a new coach, Dwight Hale, and a lot of new players on Varsity to help them succeed. They have three teams this year with a Varsity, JV and C-Squad, all of which are very excited for the new season.

Senior Zach Bell has a few words on the new season.
He says, “One of our goals is to give everything we have on every play no matter what the outcome is.” When asked what the team does well, he states, “We always compete as hard as we can no matter what the score is or what happens on the play.”

Look for more sports news coming in the next installment.