Spartans Gear Up for Winter Sports

Girls Varsity Basketball poses for a photo

Fall Sports have ended,and we’re kicking off the 2019 Winter season, consisting of basketball, swimming, wrestling, and hockey. This piece covers the upcoming sports, and how some of the players are feeling about their season so far. 

Varsity Boys Basketball started their season in early November, preparing for the upcoming season for the next three months. The boys started the season off with facing Grandview High School as their first game. Playing away, the boys come close to winning, but fell to the Grandview Wolves 47-51. Leading in scoring, senior Lucas Moerman had 18 points and Schafer Reichart followed with 11 points. It was a close game, and the boys are already looking forward to the season. Additionally, later in the month of December the Varsity Boys travel to Alaska to compete in a tournament against high ranked teams to improve their skill level.  

Michael Hall drives to the basket during the Lewis Palmer home game.

Girls Varsity Basketball also started their season in November and played their first games of the season on December 3rd and 5th at the opposing schools. The girls competed against tough Denver teams Regis Jesuit and Columbine High School. The girls played hard and kept the games close until the fourth quarter. Varsity fell to Regis Jesuit 48-64 and also lost to Columbine 51-56. The girls season continues on and they hope to improve their game play for the following months. 

Junior Erin Capell said, “We worked really hard during both of these games and I love playing with these girls so much. Next week we plan to be more successful and take home some wins.”

Girls Swimming competed in two meets so far this winter season.  The girls ended up losing a close one to Mountain Vista, however won the second meet 94-91, against Coronado High School. 

Junior Sydney Wilson is very excited about the upcoming season and states,  “I’m looking forward to improving myself and the team this year because, well, winning is fun. I love spending time with team at meets, lunch and our team bonding pasta parties. I see these girls as some of my best friends than just being my teammates.” 

Wrestling started their season at the start of December and now has a boys team and a girls team. They now have the largest number of girls in this sport they have ever had. The teams competed against Air Academy on the 6th of December at Doherty and had a close game, however Doherty just barely lost to the opposing team. Additionally, girls wrestling competed at Arapahoe the following weekend and took some wins home. Sarah Savidge, Aminah Hunter, and Shayla Valdez all took second place during their competitions. Both teams will continue to fight and work hard for Doherty for the rest of their season.

Boys Hockey played their first game on December 7th against the school’s rival, the Palmer Terrors. The boys ended up taking home the win, outscoring the Terrors 7-2. Of the seven goals, sophomore Chase Chapman scored four of the points for the Spartans. The boys look forward to the upcoming season and hope to make it to the playoffs in February. Additionally, Hockey has 3 games for the upcoming week, taking on some high ranked teams.