Spartan Staff Profile: Champ

Courtesy of Doherty Yearbook

Can you pick out Champ from this early yearbook? He hasn’t changed much!

Doherty High School is a complex ecosystem.

Students hold Doherty signs in the 1976 yearbook. (Lizzy Dalton)

The many moving parts of the school make it complicated to notice every detail, big or small.  One of the most essential moving parts of the school is our security guards. The constant presence of the staff that protects our school, inside and out is not an easy task to fulfill.

One of these security guards is Scott Patrick, affectionately known by students and staff as Champ. While each staff member leads an interesting life outside of Doherty, Champ’s life has been intertwined with Doherty since he was a teenager back in 1976.

Fun Fact: Something students might not know is that Champ has a twin brother!

Champ and his twin brother attended Mitchell High School for their freshman and sophomore years. Champ then transferred to Doherty the first year it opened. He spent his Junior and Senior years there and graduated from Doherty in 1977.

Doherty was a lot different place when it first opened.

“Everyone came to the pool,” Champ explained.  The pool was one of the nicest in the community, and many people came from around the town to swim in the nice, new pool.

Fun Fact: Doherty helped Champ get a job after school.

Security guard champ points to the yearbook. (Marynn Krull )

While interviewing him, Champ pulled out the old 1976 and 1977 yearbooks. One page outlines the VICA program Champ participated in:

“With the motto of preparing for leadership in the world of work, VICA consisted of graphic arts, auto mechanics, wood, metal and appliance repair. Members went to local, district, state, and national contests where they competed in parliamentary procedures, getting a job and actual work in every course offered.”

This program allowed Champ to obtain a job in metals after he graduated, which eventually led to him coming back to Doherty and working as a security guard.

Fun Fact: Champ’s wife attended Doherty as well.

Champ and his wife were in the same class in Doherty; however, they didn’t know each other. It wasn’t until after they graduated that they were able to connect, which led to their marriage!

Fun Fact: Champ is an amazing staff member!

Champ is definitely a smiling face around Doherty. He is one of the many people who make Doherty a loving and supporting community. Whether students see him roaming the halls, standing by the door, or outside on the campus Champ is always someone to say hi to!

The first newspaper staff for Doherty High School. (Lizzy Dalton)