What are you thankful for?

Jenisis Newmen

JaLyn Castr and Cayla Baker hugging by the seniors sign.

Thankfulness is a powerful thing. Showing gratitude for what you have and being grateful for objects and people in your life is very important. Being thankful is acknowledging the good already in your life and being pleased with it. Although everyone has struggles, it is essential to take a second and look at the positive instead of the negative.

Sometimes it’s difficult to be thankful and positive about things because you may look at your life and think it is far from perfect. It is ok to be upset with things in your life but instead of always being negative and ungrateful with things in your life try being thankful for what you do have.

Gilly Spartz and Addie Zaiger posing by a brick wall. (Jenesis Newmen)

By interviewing students and teachers at Doherty High School, they told us what they are thankful for:

Assistant principal Hillary Hienton says, “I am thankful for a body that can do a lot of things.”

Jamikel Sisneros says, “I am thankful for a good family.” For most people family is people they can lean on and depend on. As well as people you bond with and can trust.

Hailey Stogner responds, “I am thankful for how supportive my friends are and how they are always there for me.”

Ja’den Hickerson said, “I am grateful for all my friends.”

Student Ricky Flecher says, “I am thankful for my mom and food because my mom is helpful and food is good.”

Grace Greg says, “I am thankful for my family because they are super sweet and support me in everything and I am especially grateful for my mom because she is there for me.”

Teacher Erin Ahnfeldt said, “I am super thankful for my wife and my kids.” Being thankful or thanking someone often is you are acknowledging your thanks for something that someone has given you. It is important to be grateful for what you have and to appreciate things happening in your life.

Science teacher Tracy Grant says, “I am thankful for my family and for my work colleagues, and I am really thankful for science because they have made good medicine that helped me with my cancer.”

Sophia Szreetter stated, “ I am thankful for friends and family because they are always supportive of me.”

Channelle Fox said, “I am thankful for my family because they inspire me in everything I do in life.”

Amelia Dezarn responded, “I am thankful for my friends and family because have always been there for me and check up on me and always lift me up when i am down”

Alanah Bryan said, “I am thankful for my friends because they never let me down and always make me smile”

Spencer Hoogeboom says, “I am thankful for my family because they do everything for me and are always there.”

JaLyn Castr says, “I am thankful for softball and Cayla my best friend because they both make me happy.”

Abby Atkinson responded, “I am thankful for my family, friends, and softball because they had made me the person I am today.”
Acai Biglow responded, “ I am thankful for my family, friends, and my basketball team.”

Maddox Richardson said,“ I am thankful for sports family, and friends.”

Jada Symons said, “I am thankful for my mommy because she’s the best.”

Sean Smith said, “I am thankful for my mom because she is a W and always there for me.”

Jada Simmons matching PJ pants with her friend in Spanish class. (Jenesis Newmen)

Overall it is an important thing to be thankful and show gratitude towards others. Even though it is difficult to be thankful for certain things in your life, these are people and items in some Doherty students’ and teachers’ lives that they are thankful for. Being grateful helps build better relationships with others and yourselves and take a minute to look at your life and be happy about what you have.