Second Semester Starts on Track

Addison Zaiger

Payton Marley, Brady Stogner, and Chase Zaiger getting ready to do a lab in Chemistry.

It is finally semester two of school, and students crammed in studying for finals and worked diligently to turn in all of their work before it was a permanent 0.
Kennedy Turner said, “ I think it’s going to be harder because some of the teachers don’t care and I beleve they are tough on the students.”Several students were stressed writing key definitions on note cards and having their friends and family help them memorize them to bring their grades up a few percent. As Doherty students finished up finals it was winter break.

Madelyn Schott said, “I think semester two is going well because it’s easier and it’s the beginning so we don’t have so much stressful work.”

Students came back to school hoping semester two would be easier than the last. Several students had changes in class. Some had free periods and others got study skills. Others got culinary and some got computer apps and other courses. Student said, “Semester 2 is easier because I only have 6 classes now.”

We interviewed Doherty students on their opinions about how they think semester two will go and whether it will be easier or more difficult than semester two. Students are on a grind to get schoolwork done and study for upcoming tests. Student Payton Marley said, “I think semester two will be harder because of the change in classes and Pre SAT’s.”

As most students would agree Doherty High School is difficult for most and everyone needs different strategies to help them succeed. With it being the beginning of the second semester these are some tips for students to succeed in their classes. They include: using a planner, keeping track of all of your textbooks, visiting the library/tutoring lab to get extra help on assignments, and making your notes easy to read and neat. Student said Breean Manzanera said, “Second semester has always been hard for me because of tests and quizzes but hopefully this year would be different.”Others include building a study schedule that includes all of your major classes to keep track and prepare for tests, ask for help, and pay attention during class. Sometimes it can be not motivating for students to stay on top of all of their assignments and class work but those are some simple tips and strategies to stay on top of your work this semester.

Freshmen students are trying to finish their first year of high school strong and get all the credits they need. Student Sean Smith said, “I hope Semester two is going to go well and I hope it’s not as hard as the first semester.”
Sophomores are preparing themselves for the difficult years to come. The upperclassmen are mentally preparing for SAT’S and the lower classmen are prepping for PSAT’S. Most juniors are getting stressed out from the lots of tests and stacks of stressful homework and are ready for a chill, last year of high school. Student Elijah Mak said, “Semester two is going pretty well so far and I hope it stays that way.”Seniors are applying to colleges and others are looking for jobs. They enjoy having very few classes. Some seniors are anxiously waiting for acceptance letters from their dream colleges and others plan to move far away from their parents once they graduate.