Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Spring Athletes Continue to Shine

Doherty Spartans spring sports season is arguably the best. During the spring season, Girls’ Tennis, Boys’ and Girls’ Track, Boys’ Swim and Dive, Boys’ baseball, Girls’ Soccer, and Boys’ Volleyball all take place.

We asked all athletes these general questions:
What was your highlight match, game, or series of the year so far? And how did it go and why?
What was your favorite part about being on your team?

Girls’ Tennis (2-6)
For Girls’ tennis we interviewed junior Addison Leasure who said her “highlight match was either against Vanguard or Chaparral” where she played her best and sadly only one went her way, but she was really proud that she “kept competing and never gave up.”
Track
For track we interviewed sophomore Laron Donald, senior Chad Svenby, and sophomore Elliana Adam’s. Laron’s highlight was his “high jump where I broke 6ft” at the Spartan Invitational and his favorite part was “the environment and connections the team had not just to do good at the meet but as a team.”
Chad said his highlight was “my furthest throw 114ft” and his favorite part of the season was “getting to play the sport that I love.”
Eliana said her highlight was “going 46.6 for the 300m hurdles” and her favorite part about being on the team was “going to get dinner after some meets.”

Boys Swim and Dive (4-3)
We interviewed Ronan Watts who says his highlight swim of the year was his league meet where he got 1st place in his 200IM and his 100 free and in his 100 free he set a new league record and school record he also said his favorite part about this year was “being part of the swim community and definitely the team dinners.” We also interviewed senior captain Richie Houser who also say that his league meet was his favorite because his “relay in the 200 free got 1st and he placed 6th overall in the 100 breaststrokes” and his favorite part of the season was “developing the friendships he has.”
Baseball (9-12)
For Boys’ Baseball we interviewed seniors Garret Weaver and Diego Gonzales. Garret said his favorite game was “beating Air academy 19-6” and Diego said his favorite part was “beating Vista to tie for 2nd in league” and Garret said his favorite part of the season was “the spring break trip to Arizona” and Diego said his favorite part was being “team captain.”
Girls’ soccer (11-4-1)
For Girls’ Soccer we interviewed senior Makenna Lockhart who said her favorite game was playing against Liberty because “I scored on their goalie who I am friends with from club” and her favorite part of the season was “spending time with my teammates.”

Boys’ Volleyball (10-13)
We interviewed Brayden Unseth who says his highlight game was a home game against Thomas Mclaren where they won (3-2) “where I had 10 kills a personal best and 6 blocks” and his favorite part of the season was “we had a lot of fun and enjoyed the entire season.”