Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Leland Frescaz, New Quarterback Faces New Challenges

Madison
Leland Frescaz calls for the ball during a game against Coronado. Doherty wins 56-14.

Doherty’s Football players are returning League Champions, winning 7 out of their 11 games last year. With the 22-23 season coming to an end, they had 12 seniors leaving them, including their starting QB Kaden Becker. With their starting QB leaving them, it was time for Leland Frescaz to step up and make things happen. 

As of today, you see Leland as the new starting quarterback for our Doherty Spartans, and what is surprising is that he is a sophomore.

The 23-24 season started out slow. As of now, they are 1-3 and just took a tough 28-0 loss to Mesa Ridge.  Frescaz is having a slow start at grasping on to a varsity sport. “Sometimes it’s a lot, but all I’m focused on is getting better and making sure the team is getting better,” he said.

• Leland Frescaz posing for the Camera during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

• Leland Frescaz running down the field after gaining big yards during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

• Doherty’s Student section at the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

Leland’s main focus this season is to just make his team proud. “The role I play being the new starting QB on varsity is being a leader and making sure our team knows how to play together in tense moments. Being able to have your teammates trust you and trusting them is the biggest part of success in games.” The team is very excited to have him and see him grow as a player. 

• Team huddle during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

• Jyden Campbell getting ready to run a route during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

• Jalen Hale getting ready to run a route during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

“[He] just being a sophomore [is good.] He’s doing a lot cause he has to step up for varsity because we have no one else and he’s only learning still,” says Dominick Solano. Brain Valdez also adds. “He’s a leader… He’s just a leader and a role model… he’s very driven.”

• Dominick Solano getting ready for kickoff during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

• Solomon Latimer getting ready to run a route during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

• Leland Frescaz getting ready to snap the ball during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

Coming back from being a freshman to a sophomore comes with big responsibilities and so does switching from a jv quarterback to a varsity quarterback. Frescaz says, “ The biggest difference from JV to varsity is the tempo of the game and how much more important it is for me to make the right reads and right decisions to help my team and protect my teammates.”

• Brian Valdez getting to his spot on defense during the Doherty vs. Coronado game.

With having a new and young quarterback comes with some challenges. “He’s just young and not experience at all, but as the season continues, he will keep growing,” says Zach Null. With these challenges though comes a lot of learning experiences that Leland Frescaz is ready to take on. Leland’s goals for this season are to obviously win games, but to also create a strong bond with his teammates and coaches. With the most recent win against Moutain Range Leland is achieving those goals.