Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Jonathan Shub Takes Over as New Athletic Director

Jonathan+Shub+is+seen+here+overseeing+construction+in+the+gym.+He+was+happy+to+pose+for+the+camera+and+get+back+to+work+as+soon+as+possible.+
Rylan Gufarotti
Jonathan Shub is seen here overseeing construction in the gym. He was happy to pose for the camera and get back to work as soon as possible.

Our new Athletic Director Jonathan Shub has already taken Doherty by storm as he “works behind the scenes to ensure that our events occur without interruption” and thoroughly “develops Doherty as a destination for kids to want to come to.”

Shub originally went to one of Doherty’s many rival schools, Rampart, where he was very active in many sports from wrestling to soccer. However, Shub says, “I didn’t truly fall in love with the process (train, work hard, play hard, find success) until I was in college.”

Delaney Gish ’24 says, “Shub has been more present and supported us at home and away.” Her last season of volleyball at Doherty ran smoother than ever thanks to Shub. Incredible that after a little more than three months, he fits right into the Doherty atmosphere and family. Gish also adds “confident, and overall easy to talk to.” So shoot him up a thumbs up or a hey when you see him in the halls.

Shub’s job includes many areas as athletic director including “working with coaches in the development of their team and coaching staff and working with parents as they express their concerns or successes” keeping him busy all day long.

• Jonathan Shub joins with colleague to block the ball in the student staff basketball game. He was eager to participate to help for harvest of love. His team won against the students.

Shub recently played in the Harvest of Love student-staff basketball game where he had strong competition and an even stronger love for his school. He even played alongside his wife Chelsey Shub. Ms. Shub and Mr. Shub met right here at Doherty. “We did coach together here at Doherty, and that’s how we met, and I loved coaching with her.”

Recently he has been trying to improve the We Before Me culture here at Doherty. Lindsay Alguire says, “It’s the idea you choose your community over yourself.” Each individual at Doherty is part of a family that we need to take care of Shub says “personally connecting with kids to demonstrate support”

Ms. Alguire recently began coaching the girls’ swim team, and even with hesitation she was convinced, “Shub would not take no for an answer, but yet he was supportive and understanding.” She and senior Cavan Moehring say he is extremely positive and easy to talk to.

Brody Knoll 27′ is a nonstop athlete for Doherty. Playing football, basketball, and baseball, he also adds to the discussion. “I got thrown out of a game once and he helped explain to me how to control my emotions.” Jon Shub tries to get down to the root of problems and help students whenever possible.

• Jonathan Shub diligently makes sure construction in the gym goes smooth. He is fulfilling his duties excellently.