Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Girls’ Basketball Pre-Season Looks

Jada+Symons+passing+ball+out+to+the+corner+during+a+drill+at+6+a.m+practice.+
madison
Jada Symons passing ball out to the corner during a drill at 6 a.m practice.

2022-2023 Doherty Girl’s Basketball season left Colorado Springs stunned. Losing two of their best players and their varsity head coach all simultaneously during their 2021-2022 season made people in the Springs believe that Doherty would not be a competing team next season. 

Before the 2022-2023 season, they got a new head coach, Mark Jones. Mark had a mission, a reputation, and a statement to prove. Mark Jones would lead his 2022-2023 Doherty girls basketball program to a 45-10 record but not by himself. coaches Skylar Johnson, Hannah Snow, Julian Biglow, and Jordy Stephenson played a big role in this program. With taking only 10 program losses this season it would now make Mark Jones all-conference coach of the year, it would also make Tayva Phillps, Kamee Heart, and Brooke Mansanares conference first team and honorable mentions. Having five seniors in Mark’s first season left Mark with an ultimatum, will we find a way or find an excuse? 

During the 2022-2023 season at an away game against Pine Creek, Doherty’s starting point guard tore her ACL. It was a devastating experience for not only the varsity team, but for the whole program. “It was a big adjustment for everyone at first, just a big adjustment, but they figured it out and we still went as far as we were supposed to,l” said senior Tay Biglow. Being out for a full year to recover and get better has made Tay eager to get back out onto the court. “It’s so relieving and exciting, I’ve missed being on the court a lot.” 

• Kaity Driskell shooting the basketball during 6 a.m. practice.

• Madison Schiltz shooting the basketball during 6am practice.

• Nelah Thompson shooting basketball at 6 am practice.

• Johanna Subia shooting basketball during 6am practice.

After the 2022-2023 season, Mark and his program went straight back into the gym, but this time with a different motive. The Dohertys girls’ basketball program would go straight into improving daily. Mark had certain expectations for his program, “I want to have a very successful season with all levels and with everyone who is in the program. Our goal is to be one of the most competitive in the state.” This program has been putting in work since last May to get better, and it has been paying off. “The hard work has definitely improved our defense, our offense will come with our good defense,” says senior Avery Blanc. Nelah Thompson also shares, “Communication has gotten way better, when we put more work into practice and then execute it into the game it really shows that it’s all been paying off.” 

• Aubrey Smith shooting during 6 a.m basketball practice.

• Jada Symons passing ball out to the corner during a drill at 6 a.m practice.

• Jada Symons shooting during 6 a.m practice.

• Kaity Driskell passing the ball to the corner during a drill at 6 a.m basketball practice.

• Aubrey Smith passing the ball the the corner during a basketball drill at 6 am basketball practice.

For the 2023-2024 season, Doherty’s first tip-off is December 2nd against Regis Jesuit. The program is very excited to get the season started. “I am excited. I’m ready to win,” says Jada Symons. Doherty’s girls’ basketball team is ready to compete and ready to go right back to the Coliseum. This year they will have seven seniors attending their last season with Mark and the Spartans. Leadership is a key role in their program, having seven seniors brings not only a lot of leadership but also a lot of experience to the table for this season. “Having a leadership role, step up and support the younger girls and encourage them to apply themselves the best they can towards their sports,” says senior Avery Blanc. The bond between the girls’ basketball team is like no other, all of these young women support each other and push each other to get better every single day. “I’m glad it’s my last year and I love the girls that are here with me. I just like the team and I’m glad that my team is really supportive of me,” says senior Rachel Stewart. 

With the high expectations of the season, the great environment, and the hard work, Coach Mark says Sparta will see the Doherty Women Spartans’ basketball team go very far this year. He said to keep a look out for your women Spartans. This is more than just a team, this is more than just a family, it is the culture.