Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

30 Years of “The Blue Album” 

30 years for one of the most relevant albums in music history.
    Original Cover by DGC Records with the members of Weezer.

musicbrainz.org
    Original Cover by DGC Records with the members of Weezer. musicbrainz.org

Weezer is a band that may ring many bells for people of all ages and come May 2024 Weezer’s first album AKA “The Blue Album” will be having its 30-year anniversary. If the album does not ring a bell, chances are you know the song, Buddy Holly. This song in its own has won 3 VMAs (MTV Video Music Awards) in 1995 as well as a Canadian Music Video award. This song was to commemorate the 58th birthday of singer and songwriter of the same name. Hitting second on the modern rock billboard and 18th on the billboard top 100 in 1996.  

As a treat for this anniversary Rivers Coumo announced a tour to celebrate this anniversary, this tour will commence once their current UK tour comes to an end. This tour will be a replay of the original “Blue Album” tour to commemorate the anniversary. Rivers states, “We are going to give it its due respect and come out with a really amazing deluxe package material, and of course, we’ve gotta do some kind of epic tour.” The announcement of this 30th anniversary was a lot for Weezer fans of all ages, “was Weezer around in the prehistoric era?” exaggerated Sara Worthington, a math teacher at Doherty. 

Weezer is a band that’s been around for awhile, allowing their fan base to extend through multiple generations, Andrew Drummond, a history teacher at Doherty recalled, “I was in a band that played songs off this album, I started listening to them sometime in the early 2000s.” Another teacher, Sara Worthington said, “I was in high school when I started listening to weezer, but they came out late 8th grade for me.”  Some students were surprised by the age of this album, like Layla McLoyd,  who was shocked about] the age of Weezer, “I feel time blind, and they are ‘eating.'”

Weezer is a band that has gone down in history with this album changing music and adding to the era of MTV, the recognition of this album from all ages alike will continue to be an important addition to the development of music today. 

Andrew Drummond, who remembers playing these songs when he was in a band.
    DHS History Teacher
    Sara Worthington, a long time fan of them.
    DHS Math Teacher (Dante Click)