Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Super Bowl Chaos

Courtesy of Creative Commons
    Kelce waving to the crowd during a game making the crowd excited.

It’s that time of year again, where the entire country came together to watch the Super Bowl. The adrenaline was pumping and the hearts were racing as they watched the Kansas City Chiefs go head to head with the San Francisco 49ers. Many people were rooting for the Chiefs to take the win, due to Taylor Swift dating the tight end of the Chiefs, Travis Kelce. The game caught most attention due to the fact that the 49ers were in the lead almost the entire game, however, Kansas was keeping it a tight game. Although the Chiefs had many people around the world rooting for their win, people also wanted to see the 49ers win  because they have not had a win since 1995, due to that very reason they also had many people behind their back supporting them, hoping they would win the Super Bowl. 

Though the game was fun to watch, fans couldn’t help but notice the disrespect coming from Travis Kelce towards the coach. Kelce is a captain and it was unexpected to watch the clip of him yelling and pushing his coach. Many of the fans have all agreed tension may have been high, but it was not okay to treat a coach, let alone anyone like that. After the Super Bowl ended, there were many memes striking the internet of Kelce yelling at his coach. After the Super Bowl and the after party, Kelce took time and spoke about the situation on the news and in his podcast with his brother, Jason Kelce. According to the New Heights podcast, Travis was able to recognize that he was in the wrong, saying, “ I can’t get that fired up to the point where bumping coach and it’s getting him off balance and stuff.” Mad that coach Reid took him out of the game, he was able to know that he was in the wrong for his reaction. 

Around Doherty High School thoughts and opinions were collected about the incident involving coach Reid and Kelce. Many of the students believed the way Kelce handled the situation was wrong. Kendi Mello says, “ If I treated a coach of mine like that, I would have been benched the whole game and maybe after that too.”

While Mello had the take that Kelce was in the wrong and deserved to have been punished, football player, Hayden Miller said, “Yes, Kelce was in the wrong, but this was the Super Bowl and Kelce is a leader and a key player in the game, so if they wanted a good chance to win the Super Bowl they needed him back into the game.” Coming from a football player that was a good take and insight for some of the fans who might have been able to fail to see that Kelce needed to be in the game.