Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Album Highlights of 2024 (So Far)

Rheese Mestas
How many albums have you heard this year?

Many music fans run the halls of Doherty, and in just a month, 2024 has given the world some good albums to listen to already.

Running the gauntlet of music genres, from both the mainstream and underground, there are plenty of records to keep you entertained, even if the year just started. The purpose of this article is to shine a light on some of the best of the best so far, whether you’ve heard them or not. Hopefully this list will help in doing so!

Glass Beach – Plastic Death

Kicking this list off, Plastic Death is the second album by indie up-and-comers Glass Beach. Since their formation, this band has really been pushing the envelope for creativity. Sure, this is an indie album, but there’s something for everybody here. With an hour of material, the band manages to pack so much punch with creative and colorful soundscapes, and the diversity on display is remarkable. 

The vocal performance is full of personality, and the instrumentation is layered with unbelievable color. Sound effect play and massive instrumentation define this album, and it stays interesting throughout. So overall, if you want a true experience with an album from this year, check Plastic Death out!

Upon Stone – Dead Mother Moon

Flipping the script with a metal album, we have this melodic death metal band making a statement with their debut album. We really want to have something for everybody! This album, so far, is the peak of heavy music in 2024. It proves a common misconception that death metal is just ruckus with no rhyme or reason. This album keeps the gritty spirit of the genre while introducing a ton of melody into the mix.

Something about this album simply sounds grandiose and epic. The production quality definitely is gritty, as you’d expect from a death metal album, but the writing really counteracts that in a brilliant way. These songs stick in your mind, and that is definitely no easy feat for a death metal album. Even if you are not a fan of the sound, Dead Mother Moon is absolutely worth a shot.

21 Savage – American Dream 

• One of the most notable albums of 2024.

For fans of rap, even though this album is super popular right now, this album by 21 Savage should be listened to in case it was missed. This album does not disappoint, since it delivers what 21 Savage is typically known for, but builds on that sound too. The instrumentals across this project are super lavish and expensive sounding. On top of that, these are incredibly personal songs relating to the rapper.

Though most people reading may at least be aware of it, “American Dream” should definitely not be skipped. It should definitely be listened to by fans of hip hop if they are looking for new music. 

MGMT – Loss of Life

• Absolutely pleasant record

Taking another turn, MGMT is a pop group who has been active for a long time now. Yet, “Loss of Life” will leave you questioning that, as this album sounds like a group fresh on the scene made it. The super organic sounding instrumentals, alongside the strong pop structures make this album almost have an older vibe while still being modern and on-trend.

From dreamlike soundscapes to strong balladry and songwriting, this album has something for everyone. It is super agreeable while still keeping things from being boring, and for any fan of pop music, definitely is worth a shot. The album’s ability to bring back classic sounds from the days of synthpop and psych-pop is incredibly strong, and it’s likely this album will appeal even to people who shallowly believe all modern music is cheap and bad. An album such as “Loss of Life” freshly proves that wrong.

Conclusion

So what have we learned here? There are tons of albums already, in just the first couple of months of 2024, for fans of music in Doherty to check out. This is only a handful of some great material to have already come out. Hopefully this article will function as a guide for your music-listening adventures as a student from Doherty!