Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Young Voters Need to Do Research to Be Ready

Are we in trouble?

The upcoming election is approaching soon, November 5th, 2024. Some students will turn 18 this year before the election, according to Spectrum news the voting rate in Colorado of young voters is very low due to kids not being educated on politics and the world in general. We are trying to turn that around because the world relies on our generation to make choices in the future. I went around Doherty High School interviewing students and asking them questions such as who was going to be 18 before the election, who plans on voting, and what their biggest concerns are impacted on the election. Most kids don’t pay attention to things like this, but the ones who do make a big impact. Kids who vote usually are impacted by their parents and their peers for their political opinion, as well as the media and other sources.

We focus on candidates who are promising to give us what we want and have been asking for, that comes with pros and cons as most candidates just want the votes and don’t focus on trust. Turning 18 comes with a lot of responsibilities as you will be able to vote for a lot of things concerning the United States and the state they live in. July 1st, 1971, is when the voting age was lowered to 18. As the saying goes: “old enough to fight, old enough to vote” This talks about about kids being able to go into the military as a 18 year old, but not being able to vote, so they all decided to change it. Many people have mixed feelings about this because not every kid knows what’s going on in the world and not many care.

I interviewed some seniors at Doherty High School. Senior Solomon Latimer says, “I am voting in 2024, I’m most concerned about how much the world might change based off of who runs, My parents impact my political opinion the most.” Most kids are concerned about America going to war over this election, that we pick the “wrong” person and other factors.

Senior Alana Hunt states, “My biggest concern is we pick the wrong person. I feel like for a better chance we can give America is picking Trump.”

Politics is a very controversial topic, and we may not like the person in general, but all that matters is how they bring us uphill and keep their promises. Senior Ja’sean Cooper says, “I am voting in 2024, I’m researching politics more and building my information, so I know when voting I am making a good decision.”

It’s important to do your research on important topics because there are many things to consider in this election such as the wars that have been going on and Project 2025.