Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Gen Z Against the World

The Black Lives Matter movement allowed for a lot of Gen Z people with influence to fight for equal rights. Gen Z people of color also gained lots of support from many organizations and paved the way for more things to change about racism in America.`1 (Courtesy Creative Commons)

Generation Z is the first generation to be raised by technology. Gen Z is known for their influence over social media. Generation Z was born between the years 1997-2012, and this generation is fighting childish stereotypes put on them by the older generations.  

Many people born in Gen Z have made serious income by becoming influencers and spreading information about just about anything. Many of Gen Z have become incredibly self-aware due to the fact that we’ve all had to grow up so fast. Quarantine did not help with it either. Having to be confined with only technology meant that kids were constantly on social media. This left many children who were young during quarantine getting a lower attention span.

One of the biggest social media platforms Gen Z would rely on was TikTok. During quarantine, many trends were created and even many have returned, styles such as Y2k and scene have started getting popular again. Due to the Gen Z uprising, Millennials have been finding a way to criticize Gen Z on what they are doing, mocking the issues they try to spread awareness about, calling them “immature” and sensitive.” The term ‘snowflakes” has been used by millennials and boomers to describe Gen Z and their desire to stop disgusting societal norms regarding gender, sexuality, and race discrimination.  

In 2020, in Minneapolis Minnesota George Floyd was killed by a police officer officer. This caused a massive riot and protest for equal rights and representation for black individuals who have been victims of police brutality. Many people in Gen Z, even non people of color, were furious that our country was not doing anything about the corrupt police system. This began the start of the Black Lives Matter movement. This movement was an effective way for people with platforms to speak up about the cruel unnecessary violence and spread awareness to police brutality.  

Gen Z, being raised with easy access to technology, had many children who were able to use technology better than their parents. And I agree with the idea that many people in Gen Z are not very disciplined and have low attention spans, as well as behavioral issues. I do believe social media has impacted this idea, however the only reason why it does is because children are very easily influenced and if all they are seeing online is bad examples then that’s all they will express. In my opinion, I believe that children need to learn more self-control. Adding on to that I believe that it is not all social media’s fault why this generation is the way it is. The older Generations have made it almost impossible to look forward to growing up, especially since they have ruined the government and its economy.  

In reality, all most of the older Gen Z is trying to do is pave the way for the younger children to have a chance. Many older generations blame Gen Z for how they turned out when it is them who raised us off of generational traumas. Gen Z recognizes that the older generation does not care about unethical social norms, which is why Gen Z is trying so hard to gain attention. The future is not set in stone, exactly why we are trying to change America for the better.