Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Senior Games 2024: Some Seniors Take on Senior Assassination!

Alessia Bennett
Seniors celebrating at the final assembly with silly string and streamers.

This year at Doherty High School the seniors played a game called “Senior Assassination.” The game includes signing up and trying to get opponents out with water guns, and most seniors play this game during their senior year amongst other schools. This is Doherty’s first year setting up this game for students; unfortunately, the school wouldn’t partake in this game, so one of our students set it up for others to play. The game consists of safe spots, immunity, and targets. Each student will get assigned a target every week to get, Everyone playing has to keep their location on an app, so other students can track and try to get them. If they are wearing swimming goggles or a floatie while off safe spot land, they are automatically protected from their hunter.

A lot of kids thought this idea was fun and exciting for Doherty students, to help bring up the spirits and help everyone look forward to summer. Our hopes for the next year are that Doherty will be advertising games like this for our students and help run them, But due to circumstances, the district will not support the game. “ In the beginning we had 70 people playing, but as we promoted “buy in” days, we got up to 80 people playing,” says the organizer of the game. The prize for the winner at the end of the game is over $200 dollars.

There were 66 people left in the game at press time. Taylor Pierce says, “I didn’t think I would make it this far, but I’ve had so much fun while playing.” Taylor Pierce is in the lead with the streak of four people eliminated. The senior “assassination” game has been played throughout multiple high schools in Colorado and in other states, the first record of this game was in 1982, airing on TV shows, and movies.

Many people may view this game as dangerous or unethical to play in schools. As the school year’s ending, we still have roughly 20 people in the game, students have different opinions on how the game is going and should. The rest of the game is “free range,” so there aren’t any targets and you can get anyone out. Safe zones are still intact, and the safe zones for the game are school, work, and church. 

Pyper O’Donnell, Wryan Sutton, and Delaini Rice are all tied with 6 targets eliminated in the game, and next in lead is Brooke Wood and RJ with 5 targets eliminated. They all have shared their experience with saying the game is a fun way to connect with others and a good way to end senior year. As we approach the end of the year with seniors graduating, they all are extremely excited. 

Update: Now as school comes to an end, our seniors are graduating, and the senior assassination game has ended, with Wryan Sutton being the winner taking home over 200 dollars.