Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Doherty C Team Off To A Rocky Start

Picture of the Doherty Baseball Field 
 Credits to Doherty High School
    Braydon Moyer
    Picture of the Doherty Baseball Field Credits to Doherty High School

Doherty High School’s baseball program has a strong legacy, known for its excellence on and off the field. Since its start in 1975, the program consistently produces competitive teams, celebrated for their skill, teamwork, and sportsmanship. Led by Head Coach, Andy Storm and a team of dedicated coaches and backed by an enthusiastic community, Doherty High School Baseball is a source of pride for students, alumni, and fans alike. The pre-season saw intense winter workouts, combining CrossFit training, batting practice, and classroom sessions on teamwork principles. Following these, tryouts determined placements on Varsity, Junior Varsity (JV), or C teams. Though not all made immediate placement, the experience motivated players for future opportunities.  

The C team, with 15 players and 4 coaches, began their season with determination. After nine games, their record is 1-8, securing a significant win against the Rampart Rams. Batting statistics show a range of performance levels, with notable averages like .333 from Jacob Williams (‘27) and efforts to improve from .000. Five pitchers have taken the mound, with Devon Anderson (‘26) leading in strikeouts. Despite challenges, the team persists, fueled by passion and pride for their school. The team has even started new routines on the field such as praying before games, “We pray before the games because it gives us hope” said Brady Sutton (‘26). 

The coaches are proactive in managing injuries and losses, prioritizing player safety and well-being. They work closely with medical professionals for fast recoveries and maintain team morale through losses, focusing on learning and growth. The coaches also stress the importance of resilience, teamwork, and mutual support, showing a positive environment that motivates players both on and off the field. 

Balancing academics with baseball is important for student-athletes, maintaining discipline, time management, and work ethic. Academic success ensures eligibility to compete and opens doors for future opportunities beyond high school baseball. The coaches prioritize academic performance, setting the stage for long-term success in sports and life. 

With eight games left in the season, Doherty’s C team remains committed to excellence. While their win-loss record may not meet expectations, the team’s focus on teamwork, dedication, and growth sets a positive foundation for future seasons. Lessons learned and bonds made this season will lead them toward continued success, expressing the true spirit of the sport.