Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

Doherty Boys Baseball Facing Challenges

Megan Vigil
Dominik Morelli bouncing the ball off his arm during a pre-season photoshoot.

Doherty Spartan Baseball is already ready to wrap up their 23-24 season. So far they have a record of 8-11 and are third in league. The Doherty Boys have faced many challenges this season, due to a young team and health concerns with their shortstop Dominick Morelli. 

Doherty Boys Baseball has six underclassmen coming in and joining their roster this season. Having new underclassmen join the team alters the boys’ chemistry on the field because they haven’t played together before. “We got a lot of freshmen, so like we haven’t played with each other for a while, but it’s like team bonding that will help us get through it,”says junior Dominick Morelli.

With such a young team, a lot of the underclassmen who joined looked up to the upperclassmen, “It felt great to look up to people I will be one day and it was a great learning opportunity,” says freshman Brody Noll.

On February 27th, 2024 the Doherty baseball program got devastating news: Their shortstop Dominick Morelli was diagnosed with lymphoma. The program was very upset hearing the news, “When I heard it, I was shocked and felt terrible that he had to go through that,” says Brody Noll.

The players’ bonds were like no other and his teammates were very scared, “It was scary, really scary. I cried,” says Aharon Enriquez. 

Having lymphoma has affected Dom in many ways, “Physically I am a lot weaker cause I’ve lost a lot of weight due to chemo, but just not feeling good on the chemo days and I can’t play.” Dom tries his hardest to stay positive and support his team even when he doesn’t feel good, “Just [trying] to be supportive, even though I can’t play cause I don’t feel good, I just try to come to the games because we are a family and a team.” Dom’s sickness doesn’t stop him from trying his best to play and support his teammates see that he is very dedicated to trying to be 100% healthy again,

“I love the kid, and for what he was going through I don’t think I’ve seen a kid fight harder to play the game he loves,” says Brody Noll. 

Despite not having a great record, Doherty Baseball has big plans and goals for the next season. “I’m expecting to win all-state for real,” says Dominick Morelli. There is more the team wants to add to their next season’s goals, “I would like to gel as a team more and make playoffs,” says Brody Noll. Despite having a young team and having their shortstop out due to health conditions, they will always win because they are a family.