Spartans Work to Wipe Out Hunger

Once again Doherty crushed the competition, spread word about the need, and brought in over $51,000 worth of food and donations for Care and Share!

Photo courtesy Doherty Yearbook

Band students contributed over $200 to shave the hair and eyebrows of director Mr. Williams.

Every Spartan knows when November rolls around, so does the time of giving. Harvest of Love season is the time to give to those less fortunate than us. At Doherty, Harvest is a huge event which student council runs by hosting events and collecting money and food.  According to Student Council Sponsor Kit Bowie, the totals this year were 537,114 pounds of food collected and $51, 987 raised.

Doherty hosts an abundance of events which help raise money for Harvest, starting with the student-staff basketball game. Students packed into the small gym to watch staff play ball against some of Doherty’s finest basketball players, and this year, the students took the victory. Mr. Ownes, the M.C., would urge the crowd to raise money whether it was to resume the game or to have Mr. Conde and Mr. Cooper play in cowboy boots. At half time, band kids paid more 200 dollars to shave off Mr. William’s eyebrows as well as shave his beard anyway they please. After the student staff game, some of the next events were ice in the pants and pie in the face. During lunch, council members Aaron Southard, Matthew Toma, Michael Unrau, and David Garza got ice poured in their pants by paying students. The next week during lunch, Manoj Yeddanapudy, Mr. Neumeyer, and Mr. Gilbert got pies thrown in their face for donations to harvest of love. The next big event was the Rent a Spartan and Lip Sync battle. On a Wednesday night during November, students and parents gathered in the auditorium to watch some of the students get auctioned off to their friends. Rentees must dress up the way their renter tells them to as well as follow them around for the day at school and do anything the renters want them to do. In between the auctions, some of Doherty’s clubs and classes lip sync and dance to different songs.

Student council set specific foods each day for students to bring into their third period class. This food and money collected would gain each class their points. The classes all had a competition to see what class could have the most points by the end of harvest. Student Council members also collected money all day at school, after school, and even the weekends and all proceeds go to Harvest, just like all events put on during the month of November. Each council member set a goal for themselves to meet by the end of harvest.

Many of the council kids can agree helping and donating was worth all the time and handwork they gave. “I love partaking in harvest of love because there are so many people in our community and even in our school who are suffering from hunger, and nobody should ever have to go hungry. By donating to harvest we can have a huge impact on this problem and so many people can help,” said student council member Addie Kuettner.

Band director Mr. Williams gets his eyebrows and beard shaved off all in an effort to raise funds for Harvest of Love.
Kori Heidelberg collects food and money for Care and Share during the 3rd period competition.
Matthew Toma and Manoj Yeddanapudy working to raise funds for Harvest.

The winner of the class contest was Ms. Brewer’s 3rd period class. “Donating to harvest of love is so important because so many of us have so much and it’s important to make sure everyone in our world is taken care of,” said Ms. Brewer. Along with the success of Ms. Brewer’s class, Doherty as a whole raised more than $51,000. Harvest of love is a time to give back and help those in need and Doherty did just that.