The Spartan

Utah Trip a Lifechanger for Many

Sixteen+Doherty+students+participated+in+the+Doherty+Science+Spring+Field+Study+to+Arches+National+Park+in+Utah.++While+hiking+and+whitewater+rafting+through+the+area%2C+they+studied+the+unique+geology+of+the+area+and+learned+about+the+importance+of+the+Colorado+River+in+the+southwest+and+the+issues+with+its+overuse.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Utah Trip a Lifechanger for Many

Sixteen Doherty students participated in the Doherty Science Spring Field Study to Arches National Park in Utah.  While hiking and whitewater rafting through the area, they studied the unique geology of the area and learned about the importance of the Colorado River in the southwest and the issues with its overuse.

Sixteen Doherty students participated in the Doherty Science Spring Field Study to Arches National Park in Utah. While hiking and whitewater rafting through the area, they studied the unique geology of the area and learned about the importance of the Colorado River in the southwest and the issues with its overuse.

Photo courtesy Mr. Jeremy Cipiti

Photo courtesy Mr. Jeremy Cipiti

Photo courtesy Mr. Jeremy Cipiti

Tanner Thompson and Anna Ebersole, Guest Writers,

Seventeen adventurous Spartans went to Arches National Park near Moab, Utah and had one of the best weeks of their young lives.

“It was unforgettable. Seriously, it was something I will never forget,” said senior Alexis Prekop.  The trip was conducted by four Doherty teachers, Mr. Ottmer, Mr. Badeau, Mr. Galvan, and Mr. Cipiti, who brought along his daughter in 7th grade. During the week, students hiked, rafted, and swam in rapids in the Colorado River. Since they had limited cell service, they could focus on learning about the area and learning new skills. Throughout the week, the 16 students learned geology, rafting, survival tips, and safety precautions.

At one point during the week they saw a shooting star, which was bright green and yellow, with one of the leaders saying, “Did you see that? That was fricken awesome!”

The trip costs $450 per student and the first 16 to sign up were allowed to go.

“It’s always my favorite trip – until we go on the next trip!” said Mr. Cipiti. See one of the teachers if you are interested in joining next year.