Breaking News
The Student News Site of Thomas B. Doherty High School

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Spartan

The Search for a New Principal

Annika Norman
New Principal select Hillary Hienton talking to Samuel Courtright, who was streaming Activities Award Winner Ryan Magcagnon from a competition in Peru.

With Ms. Flenniken retiring at the end of this school year, a replacement needed to be found. The interviewing process is necessary to find the best candidate for the position.

District 11 created a committee to ensure that the person picked to step in can fit the needs of most of the staff and students. There were two student reps on the committee along with one staff member from each department around the school, including, a teacher from math, English, social studies, science, foreign language, visual arts, CTE, PE/ Health, and JROTC, one assistant principal, one counselor, and one dean. There were also members of the SAC and PTA.

The process started with sending all of the students and staff members to fill out a survey about what they would like to see in the person filling the position of Principal. It asked basic questions like traits they would wish to see in the candidates. There was then a screening of paper applications to narrow down the applicants, then there was a phone screening and a couple of round interviews.

In the end, the group chose Hillary Hienton, who is currently an Assistant Principal here at Doherty. Here’s what Doherty students think about the choice. Junior Brendan Bollinger says, “I’ve always liked Ms. Hienton. She [has always] supported students, she really gets involved in school activities and pushes students towards success. She really, in my opinion, [is] the right person for the job.” 

Sophomore Anna Moore agrees that Ms. Hienton is a great fit for the job. She says, “I’m so happy about [her appointment]! She helps the band out a lot and she went to Disney with us. I really hope she can go to Ireland with us too! I absolutely love her. She’s the school’s band mom.”

Freshman Rylee Skeens said, “I’m super excited. I’ve gotten to know her this year and I love her so much. Also, considering my mom is going to be her coworker and my mom loves her, I think it’ll be a super good year.”